I upgraded my Laptop to Windows 7 and after installing ALL my applications I was just about to hit the road when I remembered that I didn’t install my trusted E220 modem that I have used for the past 4 years.
So I connected the E220 card to my USB and it was recognised by Windows 7 – so far so good.
It then added the USB Mass Storage and a CD Rom.
But then it stopped !
luckily I had the MTN E220 software copied onto my computer so i tried to install it manually but it failed.
I spent the next 2 days searching the web for a solution – I downloaded a gazillion apps which are suppose to fix it but none did.
The problem is that Windows 7 doesn’t recognise the device as a modem – therefore the MTN software doesn’t work.
I spent the next day searching the web again for Modem drivers – but again no luck.
Eventually =- EUREKA !
With the help of various websites/ forums and trial-and-error, I have put the following steps to get Windows 7 to recognise the E220 as a modem :
- Connect the E220 – Windows 7 will only recognize a new USB Mass Storage Device and a CD drive (which btw you cannot access).
Open the Device Manager
- You will see the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” Section and under that USB Mass Storage Device
- Find the one that is related to the E220 (I kept the device manager open, disconnected the E220 and saw the Mass Storage disappear. I connected it again and saw it reappear – so I knew which one to play with)
- Right click on the Mass Storage Device and select “Update Driver Software”
- Select “Browse my Computer”
- Select the “Let me pick” section at the bottom
- Untick the “Show compatible devices” option
- Select “(Generic USB Host Controller)” in the Manufacturer Tab (near the top of the list)
- Select “USB Composite Device” in the Model Tab (on the right side)
- Click on NEXT to finish installation
- Windows 7 will add another USB Mass Storage Device
- Disconnect and reconnect your E220 to reinitialise the E220 software
- It will then pick up the E220 as a modem !
- At this stage install the software which you can download from the MTN or Vodacom website.
hopefully this can save you lots of time and frustration !