For the un-initiated, ie. those people who don’t have kids, every time you buy a junior meal at a fast-food outlet your kids are rewarded with a toy of varying coolness. Some of these toys are played with for about 3 minutes while other last slightly longer, however, they all land up in a toy box and eventually given away or thrown away after “accidentally” being kicked by an adult who happened to step on one in the middle of the night…
If you look around most restaurants, you will notice that kids today tend to have some electronic device with them at all times. Even when hanging out with friends around the same table, they are all hunched over on their devices playing games. Don’t judge – adults are no better !
BURGER KING® has caught onto this idea and with their latest BURGER KING® Junior Meal, no longer will a toy be given, but kids will be given am Augmented Reality game. The free App is downloaded from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store which kids will access by scanning the game marker inside the restaurant. The gamer will be required to “Defend the King” and pass through several levels which become progressively more difficult.
How does it work:
- Once you have downloaded the game and purchased any BURGER KING® Meal, hit play.
- When the game is initiated, it activates a live feed to your phones camera.
- Using this feed, scan the Defend The King marker in store and roll up your sleeves to get ready to DEFEND THE KING.
- You will then be rewarded with 15 fresh lives to save the King the first time you play, and 10 lives each time you play thereafter.
- In the bottom left corner, look out for a radar that will show you where the robots are coming from -you will be able to look around 360⁰ to see them coming.
- It is your mission to swipe at the robots to destroy them, avoid the mines, and remember to tap a crown to keep your health up.
- Lost all of your lives? Scan the BURGER KING® marker in store once more, and see if you can get further this time.
- You may just be at the top of the leader board soon. Good luck!
“Moving away from toys is an initiative from BURGER KING® to cut down on plastic that will end up in a landfill by finding a solution that is kinder to the environment,” says Ezelna Jones, BURGER KING® Marketing Executive. “We also live in a digital age so working with BizAR Reality, we developed a game that’s engaging and interactive. Kids will be swiping the enemy away and collecting crowns in order to Defend the King.”
Defend The King is the first game to be launched with new games planned for 2017.