While it seems like everyone (and their cat) has a smartphone, you might be surprised to know that according to First National Bank (FNB), smartphone penetration is only around 42% in South Africa. FNB, the bank voted to be the best digitally is attempting to close the gap between banking and telecommunications and has launched two new FNB ConeXis smartphones this week. This, along with a service that offers unlimited calls, has sent audible-gasps through the SA landscape.
With all the media attention and hype, mixed with plenty of fact and figures, its hard to tell what is really on offer and therefore Tiana Cline has been hard at work unscrambling through the info to bring you the FNB-must-know guide.
- First and foremost, you need to bank with FNB to get a FNB-branded smartphone. Not a customer? You’ll have to sign up first for a transactional account and you’ll need a FNB Connect Sim too. The ConeXis smartphones come bundled with an FNB SIM card and are SIM-locked to FNB’s network. Porting can be done in branch.
- There are two models: the higher-end 5.2in ConeXis X1 and the more affordable ConeXis X1.
- To get the ConeXis A1, you’re looking at R59 per month deal – this comes with 15 minutes airtime and 50MB of data. And for the 4G LTE ConeXis X1, it’s R150 per month with 25 minutes and 100MB of data.
- Both smartphones are powered by Android and manufactured by ZTE in China.
- The X1 has a 8MP rear camera and a 5MP front-facing one, while the 4in A1 has a 5MP rear camera and 2MP in the front – it also includes an FM radio.
- Each smartphone comes with a bunch of free accessories including a sleek back cover, in-ear headphones and a tempered glass screen. As an extra, the entry-level A1 includes a 2600mAh power bank and the X1 has an additional 16GB Memory Card.
- For either phone, you’ll first have to put down a refundable deposit – this set fee goes into Linked Savings Account and is returned with interest (!) after 24 months.
- Love eBucks? You can get a 100% rebate on your X1 monthly installments. Gold customers on eBucks Rewards level of 3, 4, 5 will be rebated R60, R90, R150 (100%) on the monthly repayment respectively. Premium customers will be rewarded from level 1. You can also earn up to 40% of your monthly cellular spend (dependent on your eBucks Rewards level).
- Each phone is software customised, which includes preloaded FNB App as part of the phone’s set up. Other features include pre-loaded educational videos all about mobile banking and FNB.
- No airtime to buy more airtime? FNB has zero-rated data usage for customer’s with cellphone banking. This means you won’t be charged to call FNB, bank using the app and can easily buy airtime and data bundles when you have no airtime loaded.
Cat ConneXis Bonus:
With the launch of the ConeXis smartphone, the big blue bank also introduced FNB Connect Unlimited Calls. This allows subscribers – ConeXis or any other phone making use of a FNB sim – to make unlimited local calls to any network for only R399 per month. You will, however, need a FNB Gold account or higher to sign up for this new package.
Disclaimer: Tiana was hosted by FNB in Cape Town for the launch
Tiana Cline is a freelance content writer and editor with a penchant for violent video games and interesting gadgets. She’s passionate about being a woman in technology in the fast-paced age of information… but also a mom of three, the first being feline.