Is an expensive dashcam better than a cheap dashcam?
Simply put: a Dashcam can literally save your life – and your wallet!
If you’re not familiar with them, dashcams are small cameras that are mounted on the dashboard of your car and record everything that happens in front of your vehicle. They have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for good reason!
We have all seen terrible drivers on our road and we are still some time away from driverless-cars. So in the meantime, we need to protect ourselves.
But with so many Dashcam options on the market which dashcam should you buy?
When buying a dashcam, there are a few key factors to consider to ensure that you get the best one for your needs. Here are some things to look for when shopping for a dashcam:
- VIDEO QUALITY: The video quality of the cam is one of the most important factors to consider. Look for a dashcam that records in high definition (HD) or higher, as this will give you a clearer and more detailed picture of what is happening on the road.
- FIELD OF VIEW: The field of view of the cam refers to how much of the road it can capture in its video recording. Look for a dashcam with a wide field of view, as this will allow you to capture more of the action on the road.
- NIGHT VISION: If you often drive at night or in low-light conditions, look for a dashcam with night vision capabilities. This will ensure that you can still capture clear and detailed video footage even in the dark.
- STORAGE CAPACITY: The storage capacity of the dashcam is also an important consideration. Look for a dashcam with enough storage capacity to capture several hours of video footage, or one that has the ability to expand its storage with a microSD card.
- GPS AND G-SENSOR: Some dashcams come with GPS and G-sensor capabilities. GPS can track your location and speed, while the G-sensor can detect sudden changes in movement and automatically save footage in case of an accident.
- SIZE AND DESIGN: The size and design of the dashcam can also be important factors to consider. Look for a cam that is compact and discreet, as this will make it less noticeable and reduce the risk of theft.
- PRICE: Finally, consider your budget when shopping for a cam. While more expensive dashcams may offer additional features, there are also many affordable options on the market that provide excellent video quality and other important features.
By considering these factors, you can find the right dashcam to fit your needs and help keep you safe on the road.
Is an expensive Dashcam better than a cheap dashcam?
You would think that buying a $130 cam would be better than buying a cheap $40 dashcam right?
Well, I thought so too and so I bought both and this happened:
Advantages of having a camera in your car
PROTECTION AGAINST FRAUD
One of the biggest benefits of having a dashcam is that it can protect you against fraudulent claims. Unfortunately, there are some people out there who will deliberately cause an accident and then try to blame it on the other driver in order to collect insurance money. With a dashcam, however, you have video evidence that can prove your innocence and protect you from these types of scams.
EVIDENCE IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT
In addition to protecting you against fraud, a camera can also provide valuable evidence in case of an accident. If you are involved in a collision, the video footage from your dashcam can help you prove who was at fault and can be used as evidence in court if necessary. This can be especially important if there are no witnesses to the accident.
IMPROVED DRIVING BEHAVIOR
Another advantage of having a dashcam is that it can improve your driving behavior. Knowing that you are being recorded can make you more conscious of your driving habits and encourage you to drive more safely. In addition, you can review your footage after a trip and identify any areas where you may need to improve your driving skills.
LOWER INSURANCE PREMIUMS
Believe it or not, having a dashcam in your car can actually help lower your insurance premiums. Some insurance companies offer discounts to drivers who have dashcams installed, as they are seen as a valuable safety feature that can reduce the risk of accidents.
CAPTURE UNEXPECTED EVENTS
A dashcam can also capture unexpected events on the road. For example, you may come across a stunning sunset, a meteor shower or even a rare animal crossing the road. These moments can be captured and cherished forever, adding an extra dimension to your driving experience.
PROTECTION FOR YOUR CAR
Cam can also provide protection for your car when it is parked. Many cams have a parking mode that allows them to continue recording even when the car is turned off. This means that if someone hits your car while it is parked, you will have video evidence of the incident.
PEACE OF MIND
Finally, having a cam can give you peace of mind when you’re on the road. Knowing that you have a record of everything that happens in front of your car can be reassuring, especially if you are driving in an area that is known for accidents or other types of incidents.
So in summary:
A dashcam is a small investment that can provide big benefits. From protecting you against fraud to improving your driving behavior, there are many reasons to consider installing a dashcam in your car.
If you’re not sure where to start, talk to your local car dealership or search online for reviews of the best dashcams on the market or just get a car like Lucid that has all of this built-in!
What is a dashcam and how does it work?
A dashcam is a small video camera that is mounted on your car's dashboard and records everything that happens while you're driving. It starts recording automatically when you turn on your car, and saves the footage on a memory card.
Do I need a dashcam?
While a dashcam is not a necessity, it can be a very useful tool to have in case of an accident. It can provide valuable evidence to your insurance company or the police, and protect you against false claims.
Can a dashcam be used as evidence in court?
Yes, dashcam footage can be used as evidence in court. It can provide a clear and unbiased account of what happened in an accident, and help determine who was at fault.
Are there any privacy concerns with using a dashcam?
While there are no specific laws prohibiting the use of dashcams, there are some privacy concerns to consider. It is important to inform your passengers that they are being recorded, and to avoid using the dashcam to invade other people's privacy.
Can I use a dashcam to monitor my teenage driver?
Yes, you can use a dashcam to monitor your teenage driver's driving habits. Some dashcams come with a parking mode feature that allows them to record even when the car is turned off, so you can see what your teenager is doing when they're not supposed to be driving.