Zwipit buys your phone or tablet for a guaranteed price and they will collect it too
In South Africa we tend to change our mobile phone every two years upon renewal of a 24 month mobile contract. As soon as we are satisfied with our new “free phone” and that all our information is now on our new device, we power down the old phone and put it in the drawer.
A question I am often asked is “what do I do with my old phones?” There are several options: list them for sale on classified sites, let friends know that you are selling or head down to the local pawn shop. Yet people tend to do none of these options – they just seem too much of a hassle.
Now there is now another option – Zwipit .
Zwipit South Africa is a web site that will buy your phone and tablet. Unlike other websites, Zwipit will not only guarantee the amount that they will pay for your device upfront but also send a courier to your house or office to collect the items. Now that is convenience – especially when you don’t have to deal with strangers wanting to come over to check out the phone…
I met with Felix Martin-Aguilar, Zwipit South Africa’s Managing Director and Nothando Moleketi Zwipit South Africa’s Executive of Marketing and Operations to chat about the ins and outs of the system:
How do I sell my phone or tablet to Zwipit?
- Access the site at Zwipit.co.za
- Find the make and model of your device. If it is listed on the site, they will buy it from you.
- Select the category that best describes the condition of your mobile device. Is it Like New or Good Working Condition or Not working.
- A cash price offer will be made to you. If you accept it, the courier will be dispatched to you to collect the item.
- Very important: While waiting for the courier, remember to delete your device of all your personal information. Reset it back to Factory Defaults, remove your SIM card and SD card, logout of your iCloud etc.
- The devices are sent to a processing facility in Europe where they are checked to see if they indeed match the condition category you selected.
- An email is sent to you to confirm the condition. You then have 24 hours to dispute the findings and withdraw out of the deal and your phone will be returned to you.
- If you accept the state of your device then the money will be deposited in your account within 10 days.
The Behind the Scenes
Zwipit South Africa is 100% South African-owned arm of the multinational brand Zwipit. Being a global company, Zwipit is able to gather devices from various countries, refurbish those devices and sell the device across its channel. The price paid for the device is determined by pure supply and demand – the more popular the device is, the more money will be paid for it.
South Africans will be able to buy devices from Zwipit in their “phase 2” which is “coming soon”.