Which is the best phone for gaming? – oh wow do I get this question a lot!!
Contrary to popular belief (ie gamer rants), there is really no straightforward answer or “must buy gaming phone” as gaming is a personal experience. Some love PUBG while other love racing games and others love Tetris or Candy Crush. Not all gaming is equal and therefore its less about which is the best gaming phone, but more about which is the best gaming phone for the type of games you like to play.
Mobile gaming has moved on a long way since spending hours play snake on a tiny 2.4-inch display. With the rise of VR and AR a mobile device can now offer a gaming experience that’s not far off the quality of a console experience. Choosing a mobile phone for gaming requires understanding the specifications of each device and matching them to your gaming requirements.
What does a phone need to be a gaming phone?
According to the team at Metrofone, you need to understand a bit of the technical bits so you can make an informed buying decision:
- Powerful processor – Speed is essential, your device will need to handle AR and ever-expanding worlds. A slow processor wont just reduce your gaming experience its likely to make you lose. Choose a device that’s fast enough to handle the most demanding games.
- A powerful GPU (graphics processing unit) is also essential. Not just from a point of getting the best experience, it can also be the difference in seeing an enemy quickly and save your life!
- Lots of RAM (Random access memory) – RAM works with your processor to help keep the phone fast by supporting the processor. In simple terms, the more RAM the better.
- Internal storage capacity – this is important to ensure that you can install those ever-growing downloads.
- Screen size – You can’t be the best player if you are fumbling over your fingers on a tiny screen!
- Battery life – The larger the mAH the better. Phones with poor batteries will quickly lose charge when gaming on a mobile device.
What are the best mobile phones for gaming?
It is worth mentioning that most modern phones can handle “games” but of course there is a difference between playing Candy Crush and Fortnite!
So here are some of the top phones that Metrofone recommends for gaming in NO particular order:
Huawei Mate 20 Pro
The Mate 20 Pro is a newcomer to the market. Its another example of Huawei battling the Apple and Samsung to become a leading manufacturer in the UK. During the launch event, it became apparent that Huawei had produced a device that seems to give it the edge over the Note 9 and iPhone Xs. So, what makes the Mate 20 Pro stand out?
- A large screen. Choose from the 6.39-inch or the 7.4-inch
- Large internal memory of up to 512GB with expandable storage available
- 4200 mAH battery for longer battery life
- Fast charging – from nothing to 50% in 30 minutes
- Most powerful processor in a smartphone in 2018
Apple iPhone Xs Max
The Xs series was launched just before the Mate 20 Pro. Apple made a huge point of showing the mobile gaming capabilities of the Xs series. One advantage Apple does have over other brands is mobile game developers seem to build for Apple first.
- Choose from a 5.8-inch or 6.5-inch screen. Both are large enough for mobile gaming
- Large internal storage but no expandable storage
- A12 bionic chip developed with mobile gaming in mind
- Long battery life
- Fast charging
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Once upon a time, the Note series was considered a business phone. Samsung have developed this phone with mobile gaming in mind. Its fast, powerful and can handle any game you want to play.
- Large 6.4-inch screen
- Massive internal memory with expandable storage up to 1TB
- 4000 mAH battery for longer battery life
- Fast charging
- Powerful speakers
Which is your favorite gaming phone?