I have often spoken about the Bermuda -Triangle of YouTube. This is where you start out looking for a How To Fix My Zipper and somehow land up watching two cats shagging on a fan. No idea where three hours went by.
But who makes these cat videos and why ?
The answer is ordinary people who want to make big money on YouTube. You can earn serious money being a YouTuber (yes. That is a real word). To prove the point, I recently saw an article in Forbes which ranked the top YouTube earners who earn millions of Dollars by creating videos across a wide range of topics including Gaming, Comedy, Make Up, Fashion, Cooking and Music.
When I look at the people who are listed, the one common denominator is that they are regular. There is nothing extra-ordinary about them. They were not born into rich film-Spielberg type of Hollywood family or have intense years of film school and script writing. These people are just regular people who had an idea, took a camera to record it and uploaded it for the world to see. The fact that they are regular people is why they have achieved celebrity status.
From around the world, kids and adults alike, can’t wait for the next episode in the series. They feel an instant connection to the YouTube who happens to like the same stuff they like – be is games, makeup or fashion. Its like a Best Friend that you feel you can talk to.
So who are these YouTubers and how much did they make ? here is the list from Forbes:
1. Pew Die Pie (his real name is Felix Kjellberg). He is a gamer who plays and comments on games and this has earned him $12million from his YouTube channel which has 39 million subscribers and generates 10 billion views
2. Smosh Ian Hecox and Anthony Padillahich are friends who took their comedy online, along with the Fine Brothers (see below) have more than 21million subscribers to their channel and earn $8.5 million.
2. Fine Brothers – Benny and Rafi Fine have 13 million subscribers to their channel which is all about them watching and reacting to other people’s videos. They also earn $8.5 million.
3. Lindsey Stirling is a dancer and violin player who has 7 million subscribers and earn $6million from her videos.
4. Rheet & Link earn $4.5million from their comedy online which they record for their 3 million subscribers
5. KSI is a British gamers who comments on games and his everyday life including wanting to be a rapper. His channel has 10 million subscribers and earns him $4.5 million.
*headline image from Shutterstock.com