Note the Date is hardly a subtle but that is what the invitation said which seems to confirm the rumours that Samsung will be revealing the Galaxy Note 4 on the 3rd of September 2014.
In true Samsung style, being a world player, the event will happen simultaneously in three major world cities including Beijing, New York and Berlin from where the Global event will be streamed.
Samsung has very cleverly jumped the gun on its competitors. Many companies are set to make their product announcement at IFA however, since IFA officially starts on the 5th of September, Samsung’s announcements 2 days prior to the event gives Samsung the headlines without fighting through the clutter of announcements from the other manufacturers. Sneaky – but nice move.
Being a the original Galaxy Note 1 user, I predicted that the phablet is here to stay as we have moved our focus from the ear to the eye. We watch movies, email, blog, tweet, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, text more than we talk so a big screen makes sense.The phablet category was initially thought of as a non-starter as the phones were getting smaller not bigger, however even the sceptics came around as 38 million Galaxy Note 1 were sold and 28 million Galaxy Note 2 were sold just in 2012!
The rumour mill has been busy churning out specs and info of what we can expect from the phablet. Here is a quick roundup:
- Operating System: Android 4.4.3 KitKat
- Screen: Super AMOLED Quad-HD 5.7 inch display with 515 PPI
- Resolution: 1440 x 2560 pixels (to compete with the LG G3)
- Processor: There are two versions here – the SM-N910S version:Quad-core Snapdragon 805 clocked at 2.5 GHz or the SM-N910C version will have an octa-core Exynos 5433 process featuring quad-core 1.3GHz Cortex-A53 cores and a quad-core Cortex-A57 or might even come with a 64-bit processor
- RAM: 4GB
- Storage: 6GB, 32GB and 64GB with a microSD slot for expansion
- Camera: 16MP 3456 x 4608 Pixels with Optical Image Stabilisation, Autofocus, Dual-LED Flash, quad-HD 2160p video recording.
- Sensor: Heart rate sensor
- Pen: S-pen
You can tune into the event too by going to www.YouTube.com/Samsungmobile at 15:00 CEST. I will be at the event at 15:00 South African time too where I will update/ confirm the specs. Stay tuned for more info and don’t forget to follow me @Liron_Segev on Twitter
In the mean time check out the Note trailers: