Product of the Year, Mobile World and a hand-powered load shedding device are all in this week on TalkingTech on CliffCentral
There are millions of products out there but only the very select few get to wear the coveted title of Product of the Year title. In this year’s awards, the tech section was won by DSTV Explora and Samsung Galaxy S5 Following our story about these awards, we were asked several questions from the listening public such as
- “But what does that actually mean ?”
- “what makes one product better than another ?”
- “who makes the call for product to win surly it is subjective ?”
All good questions as there are loads of South African products – some are stranger than others as per these Americans who tasted SA products for the first time:
Product of the Year:
So on this week’s CliffCentral show we chatted to Preetesh Sewraj CEO and Chief Innovation Analyst of Product of the Year in South Africa. Preetesh outlined the process and explained that Product of the Year is not chosen by a popularity vote – ie those brands with the most votes from the public win. The Product of the Year allows consumers to pick the products that they believe have made a difference in their lives, highlighting those items with the combination of innovation, delivery on their promise and value for money. In this way, Sewraj believes his organisation is benefiting consumers by making them aware of the products that will make a real difference in their lives, and to push back against the poor products in circulation.
We also chatted about:
- Mobile World Congress wearables such as the Huawei devices and the Guess smartwatch.
- We also chatted about the new Virtual Reality trend such as the new HTC Headset
- Of course we had to discuss to Load Shedding options and a new way to charge when the power is in your hands
- We also revealed how South Africans are using Waze to avoid traffic jams and are driving over 10 million kilometres per month !