Tonight I attended the first ever MTN App of the Year 2012 awards at the Venue in Melrose Arch. The yellow carpet was laid out and the gathered crowd was ushered into The Venue to a waiting area where drinks, food and technology was on offer.
This was the Oscars of the Apps and clearly MTN and fellow sponsors were out in full force to showcase and give recognition to Mobile Apps that have found their way onto our phones and into our lives.
Nomalanga Nkosi, GM for Business Marketing at MTN Business: “The key here is to not simply add another new App to an App store. Rather we are looking for an innovative idea that is set to change the way business is conducted or is set to positively impact users on the socio-economic front. At MTN Business we are dedicated to doing exactly this and we view this sponsorship as an extension of this drive. We certainly look forward to finding the next Killer App.”
Many apps were submitted for the awards and these were narrowed down by the panel of four judges which were: Toby Shapshak, Kojo Baffoe, Melissa Attree and Jon Hoehler. The audience collectively made up the 5th judge where a keypad was given and each person got the opportunity to cast their vote for the app that they wanted to win.
Three apps were shortlisted for each of these categories and from there a winner was announced.
Nik Rabinowitz was the MC and he spared no punches. No one was out of reach and he had the crow in histrics as he mixed his humour with technology – very well done !
So onto the winners:
- Best iOS App consumer: The nominees are: go! TravelSA , FNB bank, Die Burger. And the winner: FNB banking app
- Best IOS app enterprise: The nominees are: HealthID, Dealers Guide, RapidTarget. And the winner : Health ID from Discovery
- Best Blackberry app: The nominees are: Hiive, FNB banking app, DialMedia. And the winner : FNB banking app
- Best Android app: The nominees are: Dealers Guide, Pnet, uCalibrate. And the winner :Dealers Guide
- Best Android consumer app: The nominees are: Canal walk, go!Travel SA, FNB. And the winner: FNB banking app
- Best html5 app: The nominees are: Dealers Guide, DJ Satchmo, RapidTarget. And the winner: Rapid Targets
- Best Windows app: The nominees are:.Matchy, News24, Mxit. And the winner: Matchy
- Most innovative app: The nominees are: SixthSense, Plascon Inspire Me, go! TravelSA . And the winner: Plascon Inspire Me
- Best Garage Developer app: The nominees are: Any1 Hebrew, SA cricket news, phraZAPP . And the winner: phraZAPP
- Best Overall app: The nominees are: all previous apps mentioned above. And the winner :FNB banking app
The clear winner of the night was the FNB team with their innovative Banking App.
FNB hit all the right buttons. They were first, they launched on all platforms that South African used, they offered services that were convenient, the app is simple to use and navigate and it really does make people live easier. A well deserved win.
Well done to MTN for identifying that a recognition platform is needed and for taking the bold step in being first to step up.
Awards like this reinvigorate developers to get involved and explore the mobile world. We have awesome local talent and I sure we will see more innovation in the future.