Another software release by RIM for the Blackberry Playbook and this time it is a much smaller updated – around 80mb or so.
One of the complaint from Playbook users was that massive amount of data that needs to be downloaded every time there is a new updates. RIM has listened and the main reason for this software update is that all future updates will be “differential updates” – that is geek speak for “you will only need to updates only the software that requires updating and not have to download the entire system again”.
Why do we want this ? This should result in us requiring much smaller downloads in the future as more improvements and features are released. This is very good news for us in South Africa where bandwidth is expensive !
This little update still has some benefits that include
- WiFi connectivity improvement especially when it comes to WEP wifi networks
- Pairing between the BlackBerry phone & Playbook is faster when you use the Bridge app
- Opening and accessing file attachments are also faster
- You can now use the Blackberry phone’s data across all the apps (at least all the apps I have tried so far).
- Video support seems to be more stable as some video format now play without that dreaded stop every 15 second
I once again have to reiterate – the hardware is superb. So its only down to buggy software at times but this is getting attention and more updates means more fixes.
Almost some warm and fuzzy feeling to know that RIM hasn’t given up on the Playbook…