Apps World is coming to shed some light in Deep Dark Africa !
I was once told that a company’s success in the technology industry depends how close it is in proximity to Silicon Valley. The further away it is, the less likely it will succeed.
Well, we have a different view on the world here in South Africa. We don’t simply follow what the USA and the UK do and hope it fits. On the second largest continent we do things differently.
Our internet usage is growing and the number of people using their mobile phone to use the internet is overtaking the “pc” internet users. This has opened up a world of opportunities for Mobile Apps as a solution to many problems in Africa. These Apps are infiltrating all sectors such as Hospitality, Tourism, Healthcare, Security, Farming and Agricultural.
And the world is taking notice.
On the 1st and 2nd of June Apps World Africa 2011 will be taking place in Cape Town. This prestigious event is “bringing together the telcos, handset manufacturers, government ministries and organisations, marketing houses and more, this event will thoroughly explore whether APPs are the answer for Africa, and allow all the stakeholders to build pertinent partnerships in the industry.”
This event has a serious line up of speakers (honoured to be part of that list) and the conference agenda will cover a wide range of topics so that is something for everyone.
Topics covered at the show include:
– Operator case studies – models and business models of app related own labels, and app store partnerships and liaisons
– Handsets – which has the most compelling offering in this market
– Developers in the region – challenges and success stories
– Mobile money – rise of mobile money apps and how these interact with the banking sector
– Apps for public services and health – is this really the answer for Africa?
– m-commerce for agriculture – mobilising the farming community through apps
– m-Education – increasing literacy through apps-
– Apps for marketing & brand building – experiences of leading African brands with app related campaigns
My topic is Local Search: Implementation of location into apps:
I will also be covering the event via this Twitter (follow @swiftsms) and via this blog as I am also an
So, for all of you who aren’t too sure about Africa or what its Technology Future holds, then Apps World is a must !
You can get more info at: http://www.apps-world.net/africa/