Being involved in Technology, I am exposed to many things and so when a friend sent me a link to a website that promises to revolutionise the keyboard, I wrote it off as “yet another”…
Boy was I wrong.
If you saw this keyboard on your mobile phone or tablet you would be forgiven for thinking that a virus had infected your phone.
“Minuum is a tiny, one-dimensional keyboard that frees up screen space while allowing fast, accurate typing.”
Essentially they question why we put up with the way the current virtual keyboards are as they are based entirely on the historical and out-dated typewriter keys that are large and spread wide apart to avoid typing mistakes. “You wouldn’t be happy with a keyboard blocking half your desktop screen”
So what can Minuum actually do ?
- Recovering more than half of the usable touchscreen space you lose when you type on traditional virtual keyboards
- Allowing you fast text entry when your typing is sloppy
- Providing you with letter magnification for precise typing—especially useful if you have large fingers
- Giving you the benefit of smart auto-correction
- Respecting your familiarity with the QWERTY keyboard so you don’t have to re-learn the keyboard layout
- Providing convenient access to everything you’d expect in a keyboard (such as, punctuation, space, backspace, and enter) without stealing your screen space
- Letting you type anywhere—with a keyboard you can move around your touchscreen
Its the next evolution in keyboards. But it doesn’t just end on the cell phone screen.
“Minuum is designed to work on just one dimension, which means typing no longer needs any surface at all”. So essentially any new devices such as Glasses, Bracelets, Watches that need any interaction can use this new keyboard.
Whirlscape was trying to raise $10,000 by using Indiegogo platform. This goal they reaches virtually on the same day as they posted on the platform. At the time of publishing, they have raised over $27 000 with 29 days remaining.
update 20 March: within a couple of hours of publishing this post, the total amount raised is now at $ 33 301
Bearing in mind that the majority of the funding has come from $5 contributors, this clearly shows that people around the globe are excited to see this keyboard on their own small-screen in the near future.
If you contribute now the $5 you too will be on of the first to received this keyboard around June 2013
For more info check out: http://minuum.com/